Secret Sister

Secret Sister - Emelle Gamble Title: Secret Sister

Series: N/A

Author: Emelle Gamble

Genre: Romance/Women's Fiction

Blurb: What if everything about you changed in an instant?
Nick&Cathy and Roxanne.Two best friends. One husband. An extraordinary twist of fate.
How much do you really know about your husband? Your best friend? Yourself? Cathy Chance knows she loves her husband, Nick, with the same passion she had when she married him seven years ago, and he adores her. She also knows that she and her best friend, Roxanne, are closer than most sisters. But on a sunny summer day, these three are hurled into an astounding new reality which forces each to reconsider everything they thought was true about themselves, and one another.

Thoughts: I honestly had a hard time getting through this book. It really had nothing to do with the actual storyline, or how unbelievable it may be - I have read other books along the same lines. Most notably, Heaven-Sent Husband by Leandra Logan, which was along the same lines only with the male character being the one who "died". In fact, I kept comparing the two novels the whole time I was reading. This one was just not as well executed for me.

For one, there were just alot of unanswered questions about the "body swap". Cathy was also married to Nick, yet mentions she was attracted to Roxanne's boyfriend who was a jerk - and she takes advantage after the swap to sleep with him secretly. Granted she thought that she was Roxanne at the time, but part of me just really couldn’t buy that she wouldn’t keep at least a portion of her memories as Cathy – even when she took over Roxanne’s body. But even ignoring that, I think it would have bothered me less if she hadn’t confessed initially as Cathy that she had an attraction to Michael. And while she DID have alot of guilt over it, she also decided to not tell her “husband” Nick anyway afterward. If it had been as innocent as her being Roxanne – or believing that she was Roxanne at the time – then she would have told him the truth. Not kept it from him. The whole truth thing was a big issue for me. I don't know how you can move forward with a life built on lies and things that you've kept hidden from each other. It just made it difficult for me to feel a connection to the characters overall.

If this is your first time reading a novel along these lines, it might be okay - but for me it just fell short.

Rate: D