The Submissive (The Submissive Trilogy, # 1)

The Submissive (The Submissive Trilogy, # 1) - Tara Sue Me Title: The Submissive

Series: The Submissive Trilogy

Author: Tara Sue Me

Genre: Erotica

Blurb: Abby King has a secret fantasy.
New York City knows Nathaniel West as the brilliant and handsome CEO of West Industries, but Abby knows he's more. He's also a dominant, and when she hears he's looking for a new submissive, she applies for consideration. She’s a complete novice, but Abby yearns to experience a world of pleasure beyond her simple life as a librarian.
After one weekend with the skilled Master, Abby knows she needs more, and she fully submits to Nathaniel’s terms. He’s pleased by her willing spirit, yet her attempts to reach the man behind the rules are met with coolness.
As Abby falls in deeper, she fears Nathaniel’s heart is non-negotiable. But can she salvage her own before it’s too late?

Sarah's Thoughts: Abby King is a novice to the world of BDSM, but she is intrigued by the idea, especially when she hears that Nathaniel West is in need of a new submissive. Something about Nathaniel draws her to him, and the book begins with her "interview" for her new position. Nathaniel agrees to hire her on a temporary basis, and they have a weekend together to test the waters. Nathaniel is pleased with Abby, and they enter into their special arrangement. From almost the very beginning, it's apparent that Abby feels deeply for Nathaniel and wants more of a relationship than the dominant/submissive one. Nathaniel begins to have feelings for her as well, but due to some issues from his past, is very leery to enter in any type of permanent relationship.

I went into this book with a little bit of a negative attitude. I have to admit that I was expecting to read a knock-off book of Fifty Shades of Grey - of which I was sorely disappointed with. However, I was pleasantly surprised with this book! This book had a much more realistic feel to it, with characters that you could feel a connection with. I was very impressed with Abby - once she decided to try out this lifestyle, she went into it with her eyes wide opened. She did her homework and researched about the lifestyle she could expect as a submissive. She didn't wander into it as naive schoolgirl. She also took steps to protect herself - she made sure her best friend knew where she was and had a plan to text each other to make sure she was safe. Abby, from the very beginning, was already thinking of something more permanent with Nathaniel. But she plays by his rules, all the while trying to worm her way into his heart.

Nathaniel was a bit cold to begin with, and - of course- a dominant. However, you catch glimpses of his caring nature and of his growing feelings for Abby. Toward the end of the book, I found myself cheering for this couple. When Nathaniel begins to push Abby away, I felt my heart ache for them both. In order for them to be together though, Nathaniel has to face his feelings, as well as some old baggage from his past. They also have to reach a compromise in their relationship, so that they both get what they need. Whether you are an avid reader of BDSM and/or Erotica, or just testing the waters, I recommend this book wholeheartedly!

I find myself eager to read the second installment The Dominant - told from Nathaniel's perspective, which is set for release on 8/6/2013!

Rate: A

Heather's Thoughts: These days it's very rare for me to read a BDSM book and love it so much that I finish reading it then tell my friends who read these types of books that they need buy this book immediately. However that is what happened when I read this book.

When I started it I was very meh about reading it, however by the end of the first chapter I was hooked on the story and relationship of Abigail and Nathaniel.

One of the things I loved about this series was that both Abigail and Nathaniel aren't in their twenties they are in fact in their thirties, they are well established in their careers and who they are as people. As they progress from their first meeting to the end we get to see as Abby goes on a journey of self discovery or rather sexual discovery and how her life changes.

Another one of the things I liked about this book was how the sex was handled and while we know it's a Dom/sub relationship the sex isn't over the top graphic, but exactly right.

This isn't a story of a rich DOM pursuing a blushing college co-ed. Abby is in her thirties and through friends who live the lifestyle discovers that Nathaniel a man she has fantasied about is looking for a new sexual submissive. She goes through all the steps to get an interview with him. When she passes the interview they embark on what is supposed to be a sexual relationship only. However as their friends are drawn into their relationship it becomes apparent Abby's feelings toward Nathaniel have changed, and his has as well.

The book is told in first person so we only get Abby's perspective of the relationship, but it's one that I found real and compelling. It kept me glued to my kindle into the wee hours of the night and I finished it in one setting. Upon finishing it I wanted to read The Dominant which is Nathaniel's perspective from the same time frame as The Submissive.

This is one of those books that I will read and re-read as I enjoyed the characters so much.

Grade A

Review by: Sarah and Heather

Read our other latest reviews at http://www.thebookreadinggals.com